Several bicycling organizations have formed in recent years that address the particular needs of returning service members, primarily from Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom.
I wrote about one of those — Soldier Rides – in April 2012. It’s a branch of the Wounded Warrior Project that uses cycling and bonds of service to help overcome physical, mental or emotion wounds of war.
Another is Ride 2 Recovery, which presents multi-day “Challenge” rides and one-day “Honor” rides for veterans. More details about that organization can be found at the Road Bike Action story “Their Brave New World.”
Also, see The Warrior Ride, which already, has presented multi-day bike rides in Pennsylvania, South Carolina and Virginia. Another is coming up in September in North Carolina. See below.
These are events for 2012. For 2013 events, check the website.
- Battle of the Bulge Challenge — June 21- July 2
- Minuteman Challenge — Sept. 9-16
- Bluegrass Challenge — September/October
- Golden State Challenge — Oct. 21 – 27
- Honor Ride Nebraska; Lincoln NB June 9th, 2012
- Honor Ride Lost Hills Sheriff; Lost Hills CA, June 16th 2012
- Honor Ride Hudson Valley; Hudson Valley NY, June 16th 2012
- Honor Ride Dane County, Middleton WI, July 21st, 2012
- Honor Ride Minneapolis, Minneapolis MN, August 11th 2012
- Honor Ride West Point, New York, Sept. 16th 2012
- Honor Ride Barrington, Barrington Illinois, Sept. 23rd 2012
- Honor Ride Ventura, Ventura CA, Oct. 7th 2012
- Honor Ride Nashville, Nashville TN, Oct. 14th, 2012
- Honor Ride Atlanta, Atlanta GA, Date TBD
- Honor Ride Las Vegas, Las Vegas NV, Nov. 10th 2012
- Honor Ride El Paso, El Paso TX, Dec 2nd 2012
- Honor Ride Pearl Harbor, Honolulu HI, Dec. 3rd 2012
- CHICAGO: June 14 – 17, 2012
- NEW YORK: July 18 – 22, 2012
- GERMANY: July 29 – Aug. 7, 2012
- SEATTLE: Sept. 13 – 17, 2012
- NORTH FORK: Sept. 26 – 30, 2012
- PHOENIX: Oct. 18 – 21, 2012
- NASHVILLE: Nov. 1 – 4, 2012
- SAN ANTONIO: Nov. 15 – 18, 2012
- North Carolina: Sept. 26-29, 2012 (check website for details)